Code of Practice for Bushfire Management on Public Land
The Code of Practice for Bushfire Management on Public Land establishes the framework for bushfire management (including planned burning and bushfire response) on Victoria's public land. The Code sets the primary objectives for bushfire management in Victoria, and sets out strategies to achieve these objectives. The objectives are:
- To minimise the impact of major bushfires on human life, communities, essential and community infrastructure, industries, the economy and the environment. Human life will be afforded priority over all other considerations.
- To maintain or improve the resilience of natural ecosystems and their ability to deliver services such as biodiversity, water, carbon storage and forest products.
In 2011/2012 the Code was reviewed because:
- Fire management practices have changed significantly following some of the most devastating bushfires in Victoria's history; and
- The 2009 Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission recommended amendments to the Code.
The Code was reviewed in accordance with the requirements of the Conservation, Forests and Lands Act 1987. The review process included statewide targeted engagement (April-May 2011), release of a consultation draft with 60 days formal consultation (October-November 2011), tabling in both houses of Parliament (April-June 2012) and Government Gazettal process.
The key changes to the Code:
- Sets clear objectives for fire management on public land and strategies and actions to achieve those objectives
- Includes risk-based bushfire management planning
- Preparedness levels are based on risk
- Fuel management (for preparedness and land management are combined)
- Fire Management Zones updated
- Bushfire Response (Fire Services Commissioner obligations and warning the community)
- Recovery split into Emergency Stabilisation (as part of bushfire response) and Initial Recovery and Longer-term Recovery
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting focused on a statewide framework.
To obtain a copy of the Code:
- Download a PDF version Code of Practice for Bushfire Management on Public Land
- Download a word version Code of Practice for Bushfire Management on Public Land
- Phone DEPI Customer Service Centre between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday on 136 186
- Hardcopies are available at DEPI Traralgon, 71 Hotham Street, Traralgon VIC 3844 Ph: (03) 5172 2111, Ballarat, 402-406 Mair Street, Ballarat VIC 3350, Ph: (03) 5336 6856, Bendigo, Cnr Midland Highway and Taylor Street, Bendigo VIC 3550, Ph: (03) 5430 4444, Bairnsdale, 574 Main Street, Bairnsdale VIC 3875, Ph: (03) 5152 0600, Benalla, 89 Sydney Road, Benalla, VIC 3672, Ph: (03) 5761 1611
- Hardcopies also available at Information Victoria, 505 Little Collins St, Melbourne 3000, Ph. 1300 366 356
Please note: Document(s) on this page are presented in PDF format. If you do not have the Adobe Reader, you can download a copy free from the Adobe web site.