Freedom of Information
How to access DEPI documents under FOIYou can request access to documents held by DEPI by writing to the FOI Unit and including payment of the $25.10 application fee. You can write a letter, or download the application form (below) and send it to:
Department of Environment and Primary Industries
PO Box 500
EAST MELBOURNE VIC 8002
How to make a request
- You need to give enough details for us to find the right documents. Avoid phrases like "all documents about" a topic.
- If you ask for documents about your personal affairs, we may ask you to provide proof of your identity.
- If you ask for documents on behalf of another person about their personal affairs we may ask you for a consent form signed by that person.
How we respond
- We may refer you to the wide range of information available to the public on the Internet and at our Information Centres.
- If your request is not clear or is too general we may ask you to re-submit it so that it is clear or describes specific documents or a specific timeframe.
- We will give you a decision about your request as soon as possible, and no later than 45 days after it is received or after it is clarified.
- If we decide not to release some or all of the documents you want, we will give you reasons and tell you how to appeal.
- We may suggest that you send your application to another agency, or transfer your request as appropriate.
Fees and chargesThere is a $25.10 application fee that must be sent by cheque or money order with the request. This is a fixed cost which is non-refundable. If payment of the fee would cause you hardship you can ask for it to be waived by providing evidence such as a photocopy of your current health care card.
If paying by cheque or money order, please make payment to the Department of Environment and Primary Industries.
Further charges may be payable for time spent searching for documents ($20 per hour), and photocopying. You will be advised if these charges are going to be more than $50 and asked if you want to continue.
Further informationContact the DEPI FOI Unit by telephone on 9637 8186 or by email on Foi.Unit@dse.vic.gov.au.
Visit the Department of Justice FOI page to find out more about Freedom of Information in Victoria. You can also lodge an FOI request to DEPI using FOI Online as part of the Department of Justice site.
Adobe web site.